Monday, June 2, 2014

One Year Later...

The 365 days that I have lived since last June 3, have gone by even more quickly than normal.  Last June 3, at 8:30 a.m. I was scheduled to have Deep Brain Stimulation surgery at the University of Cincinnati, through the Mayfield Clinic with Dr. George Mandybur as my surgeon.  I arrived at the hospital at 7:30 a.m. anticipating the 8:30 surgery.  For various reasons, such as Dr. Mandybur was in a surgery already and was delayed, the first CT-scan was improperly done and insufficient for the surgery (this is a vital part of the surgery because the CT-scan is used to map the brain as the doctor performs the surgery), and who knows what other reasons, but the day dragged on and on and on.  I don't think I actually went in to surgery until around 3:30 p.m.  I know that in my anticipation of the surgery, the one thing I really wasn't looking forward to was the screwing on (literally) of the "halo".  The halo is what keeps the head still during the surgery by being screwed down to the surgical bed.  Here I am in the halo:



One of my not so admirable personality traits is that I am impatient, and it certainly showed itself in the days subsequent to the surgery.  I wanted immediate results; my doctor and his staff kept telling me "four to six months, Kim"  "give it four to six months".

The first four months were very difficult.  I am told that I am particularly sensitive to the stimulator, and my changes were very minute, but I was changing the setting every two weeks.   I'd see moments of promise, and then I'd be a diskenetic mess.  On my son's birthday at the end of September, my family and I all went our for dinner with some friends, and I had to have my best girlfriend cut my steak for me.  It was very humbling, and yet, when I went to the doctor in October, I scored a "4" on my neurological exams, and was told that the closer to "0" you get, the more normal you are.  I tested a 26 in July, a 13 in August and then the 4 in October.  I scored a 4 in December as well.

Right around December, I really began noticing a huge difference in my dystonia and my diskenesia.  It was remarkably reduced.  I no longer sat around waiting for my meds to "kick in".  Prior to my surgery, I was taking 21-24 tablets of Carbadopa/Levadopa 100 (Sinemet).   Today, I take about six tablets per day.

I am remarkably better.   I am playing golf again.  I am traveling again (by myself).  I am not afraid to go somewhere and think what if I can't get back home.   It is a miracle that I give God the credit for.  I would never have done it without Him.  I asked Him to close the door for me if I were not to have the surgery.  I sailed through all the tests.  I never had anything that would cause me to regret having the surgery, and I pray that God will continue to protect my brain and allow me not to have to have to experience the surgery or any of its counterparts again.

I still have Parkinsons's Disease, and I know that my condition will continue to progress.  There is no cure at this time.  How and when it will make itself known in my life is only known to God.  I know that He is with me in everything that life throws at me.  I praise Him for this reprieve.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,

    Wow what an amazing journey! The halo is pretty scary looking for sure!!

    I am so happy for you, and inspired by your journey of faith and trust in God. And so very glad that you came through it and the results are good and have improved your quality of life. What a blessing. The Lord is Good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah, God bless and yes, He is good!

      Delete
  2. Kim, you are very brave person. It's great to see that even though your life has many steep challenges that your zest for life is strong.

    What a strong recovery you are making, for now you can enjoy the thrill of sinking a put once again.

    Now you can go onto the golf course and enjoy the fresh air of being outdoors and enjoy the delight of human companionship and fellowship with the LORD with a golf stick in hand!

    May Our infinitely loving LORD who is able to heal any disease continue to inspire and empower you daily to love Him even more deeply!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Josef. I am so happy to be playing again. God's grace is sufficient for me today.

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking about this post for days. I am extremely touched by it and also inspired by your bravery. Thank you so much for sharing it- and the photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Elizabeth. It's funny, as i underwent the surgery, I had the weirdest sensation of the Lord being literally in the "halo" with me. I talked to him throughout the surgery, recited scriptures I had memorized and according to the surgeon "worshiped the Lord" throughout the surgery. I am still praising Him for this "good and perfect gift".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, what a testimony! It reminds me of Psalm 73:28
      But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

      Delete
  5. Kim, Hi! To God Be the Glory for your recovery! Miss you so much. How is Rita? You're in my prayers and so blessed to come upon your site. i think of you and Rita often. So blessed to know you're one year out from the surgery and good. When I first saw the picture I felt sad for you, but it was necessary. So glad to hear you are out and about. Please give my regards to Rita. God bless and I hope to hear from you soon.

    Pastor Rick closed the comment section of his blog so it is hard to fellowship lately. Now he only posts. If anyone who knows me from his blog wants to contact me, my email is cchrinc@gmail.com. Would love to hear from the brothers and sisters in Christ.

    Hearing about your recovery has made my day. Blessings and sisterly love to you Kim.

    your sister in Christ Jesus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Josef, hope you are well.

    your sister in Christ Jesus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to hear from you! I will pass along your good wishes to Rita. I wonder why he stopped allowing comments. Do you know why? I don't post that often...only what God lays on my heart, but you are welcome to post your thoughts here anytime!!!

      Delete