Friday, April 25, 2014

Priests in the Service of God








As a follower, believer and disciple of Jesus Christ, I am made a priest in the service of God (1 Peter 2:9).

Interesting, huh?  What do you envision when you think of a  priest?  I know what I think of, and it's not good.  God has a vision of good when He enrolls us in  His school of theology, so let's put that vision out of minds and look with fresh eyes at what His Word tell us.

God's word gives us guidelines for being His priests, and these fruits should be evident in our lives:

1.     Thankfulness

2.      Having a broken spirit and a broken and contrite  heart

3.      Singing songs of joy and thanksgiving to Him

4.      Filled with faith and sharing it with others

5.      Sharing our financial gifts with those who are in service to Him

6.      Praising His name

7.      Doing good

8.      Sharing what we have with others for the glory of God

9.      Sacrificing of the body, the mind, and the will to Him and what He desires in all situations and at all                times.

This is quite a list, is it not?  If all who declared they were followers of Jesus were living priestly lives like we're supposed to be doing, wouldn't the world really look differently?

As I ran through the list, asking myself how well I was allowing God to work through me as his priest, I came up with a lot of poor performance on my part.  Thank God that my salvation is ALL about what Jesus has done for me, and not based on what I have done for Him.  However, that being said, I believe our Lord does expect us to adhere to His expectations along the way of the road we are traveling during our time on this planet.  We are to expected to work for the Lord with all due diligence.  Our works are the proof of our faith, and according to Brother James, faith without works is dead.

Go through the list, give yourself a "+" or a "-" depending on which you think you are and see if you come out on the plus side or the minus side.    If you came out with more "minus" signs than "plus" signs (like me), what then must we be doing to put ourselves and our faith into action as God's priest here on earth and in the age to come as we reign with Him?

It struck me, as I read 1 Peter 2 that "I" am a part of the chosen race, royal priesthood and holy nation that belongs to God because HE called me out of darkness into HIS marvelous light.  I no longer belong to myself.  I am bought and paid for by the precious blood of Christ.  I am to proclaim (no matter who doesn't want to hear it) the excellencies of Him to chose and called me.

Therefore, I need to realize that:

I am special to God; I was chosen long, long ago, before the foundations of time.

I am a priest in the service of God.

As God is holy, I am to be holy.

I am a part of a large body of people who are also chosen and called by God; His body, His church and
some day soon, His bride.

God owns me, for His purposes.  He owns my heart, mind, body and soul, and when anyone of those want to go against what God wants and do what it wants, I need to use the power of the holy spirit within me to be in control of my self and my flesh and exercise His will.

God, I am far from perfect, you know that.  But Lord, you know that my desire is to be wholly, completely yours.  I want to be obedient and to serve you as well as I  know how.  I rely on your Holy Spirit to teach me and lead me.  I ask that you would build my faith, and give me a true, fresh desire to serve you...to give you my very best in everything I do.   You have brought me this far, Lord Jesus.  I trust you to complete what you have begun in me.  Have your way in my life and help me to be thankful to you for ALL things.  I ask this in accordance to your will and in your name.



No comments:

Post a Comment