Monday, February 13, 2012

The Heavens Declare The Glory of God

Psalm 19
This is the sunrise that greated me on February 1 during my stay in the Carolinas.

1 The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. 2 Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. 3 There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. 4 Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them he has set a tent for the sun, 5 which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy. 6 Its rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them, and there is nothing hidden from its heat. 7 The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; 8 the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; 9 the fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the LORD are true, and righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward. 12 Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults. 13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.

We have all seen the glory of God in some way, some where. Who then can say with Isaiah and me: (Isaiah 6:2) Woe is me, Woe is me for I am undone because I am a (wo)man of unclean lips and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips for my eyes have seen the Lord of Hosts.  When you see God's glory, it opens your eyes to how small and insignificant you are, doesn't it?

The Northern Lights

I have been, in some ways, very naive about the state of the world. I don't watch a lot of TV or movies and I don't listen to secular music very often, and quite frankly, other than going to dinner, my excursions to public places are pretty few and far between.

Recently, though, because I am staying with some friends in the Carolinas, I have joined in watching a little more than normal TV and movies, and with the death of Whitney Houston, I watched a little of the grammies and perused the online news sites.

What I found is more evidence that we are, indeed, living at the end of this age, in times where people show little restraint about anything...how they talk, how they dress, how they dance, how they...well, do anything.

Here are a couple of things that I have found very disturbing recently :

Freak dancing: I saw a friend on facebook comment on how her child and various other children were so upset with their school officials because they weren't able to dance as they wanted at their latest school dance. I decided to run through the comments, and found one parent who said: "...As long as they're not ripping each other's clothes off, let them dance and have fun." I then looked up the term freak dancing to discover that it is, according to the Urban Dictionary:

Freak dancing is a style of urban dancing, usually performed to R&B, pop, rap, hip-hop, or Latin music. It involves two or more people making extremely close physical contact, and facial expressions and physical movements that are sexually provocative and/or that imitate sexual intercourse and foreplay.

We all know what word the word freak is imitating, right?

I then made some sort of idiotic statement about agreeing with school officials that it was not appropriate for kids in any school age to be dancing like this and that my mom always said "give an inch and a mile will be taken" with anything, including freak dancing (she didn't say it about freak dancing, though), and the next thing you know, it's sex like this.  Isn't it a known fact that the more you do something or are subjected to it the easier it is to do it or something to the next level like it?

That mother then told me she had successfully raised two daughters and had a third child in school and that she thought it was more productive to talk to her teens about self-respect, birth control and various other things because if they want to have sex, they will find a way to do it.  I did not respond because I sensed the uselessness in it and because I didn't want to get into a social network battle of the words.

But here's what I'm thinking:  "Yeah, well, does that mean we stop telling them it's not God's plan, it's immoral, it cheapens the act meant to be an act of love, commitment and oneness for a married couple?"  Do we stop giving our kids boundaries?

Next, I ran into a name and a photo which stopped me cold. I've never heard of this girl, let alone  the fact that I can't figure out why in the world she would go to an awards dinner dressed like this and take the "Pope" as her date:


Nicki Minaj @ The Grammys

I subsequently found out that this girl had taken part in Madonna's superbowl "holy of holies" performance.

Then, last, but certainly not least, there's this British MAN who allegedly gave birth last week.  Can you imagine...a man giving birth?  As soon as I read the article, I lifted up a prayer for the world.  We are living in bizarre, immoral days where men and women definitely call good evil and evil good.  Even so, Lord Jesus, come!

I know this blog has gone from one extreme to the other, but it helps me to look at the goodness and majesty of God when I see how far astray mankind has gone.  It helps me to know that God's eyes are running to and fro around the world, and He knows how sick His creation has become.  It helps to know that any moment of any day could be the moment when the trumpet sounds and we'll no longer be subjected to sin and immorality and evil.

So, in closing, I will leave you with the words of Paul to the Philippians (4:8):

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment