Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Hour is Late and Time is Short


It's late; 1:30 in the morning and I should be sleeping, but the Lord has laid something on my heart - something I believe He wants me to put down in words. It is late here on earth and our time is short. What do I mean, the time is short, you ask? Well, I believe that the time is short for anything that we might consider a life of being somewhat "normal". I hear in my Spirit that soon "normalcy" will be hard to find and unless we are "in Christ", we will all be in a state of flux and chaos. I keep hearing the words "be sober".

Things have been very unsettling in the world for a long time, but especially since this new century began with 9/11 and then the financial chaos that the world experienced in 2008. So, I believe, it is not unusual for us to try to find things that make us smile and laugh and remember better times. We want to "feel" happy.

With this in mind, and the fact that I keep hearing the words be sober, I want to send out a message of caution to all who pass by here. The word sober is used 12 times in the KJV of the Bible in 12 different verses.

2 Cor. 5:13

1 Th. 5:6

1 Th. 5:8

1 Ti. 3:2

1 Ti. 3:11

Titus 1:8

Titus 2:2

Titus 2:4

Titus 2:6

1 Peter 1:13

1 Peter 4:7

1 Peter 5:8

In all of these verses, the word sober pertains to keeping one's self in a state of mind which exercises self-control, discipline and curbing one's passions (and although it's not the same word in the greek, specifically, it also includes the sobriety of not being drunk) and being in a state of watchfulness and readiness.

The Spirit is directing me specifically to the use of the word in relation to "curbing one's passions". It seems to me that sometimes as human beings when things are down, we want to just throw all caution to the wind and do something we consider adventurous, or "fun", and not necessarily true to our nature. This is not the time for that. This is the time for soberness.

As I write this, I'm thinking "Hmmmm, that's interesting. So many times when I am with people, I find myself thinking what a bore I am, always thinking seriouosly and "soberly" and I find it hard to get in the swing of things when talk gets a little off color or rowdy." Now I know why, I have become sober because the Lord's Spirit has shown me the lateness of the hour. I realize that this is not a time for that. I still laugh (usually at myself) and I smile, and unbelievably, I find myself not anxious or afraid, but I just don't find myself being "giddy" for lack of a better word and I don't tend to join the fray of joking, getting "involved" in tv programs or sports, etc. My mind is usually on the things of God and how they are intertwined with the things of the world.

I'm going to be blunt here, I guess, because I can't find another way to put this. Time is short; Jesus is coming back, and I think it's soon. Passions a lot of the time lead us to do things that we wouldn't normally do; and (believe me I know) usually they are not things God wants us to do (and I'm not talking about passion for your job, your ministry or art!) Don't do something stupid, by throwing caution to the wind, just to have a moment of passion fulfilled. What if He returns right then?

I'm talking to those who say they know Christ and claim Him as their savior. You're bored, or lonely or scared or tired or frazzled. Something appears in you life that looks to be the thing that could give you relief, a moment of pleasure, fun, satisfaction; whatever. Get out your Bible, read it; get on your knees; pray. Ask God for direction; ask Him if it's the right thing to do. Don't be like the foolish virgins who got tired of waiting and ran out of oil. Now is not the time to be giving in to passionate urges.

That's what God wanted me to write tonight.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kim,
    You may want to correct the typo in the first sentence. (LOL - I like that one!)

    I also want to confirm this is a true word. I was praying and asking the Lord about some things I wanted to do and here is what the Holy Spirit said to me very emphatically- "Would you rather be involved with the things of this life or would you rather prepare for my coming?"
    Of course I would rather prepare for the return of our Lord Jesus. I believe he is coming SOONER than most expect.
    In Christ, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very timely word for all of us Kim and I sure can relate to you as being a serious sort of person and have often been criticized for it. Yet Jesus, the Apostles and all the other Christians in the Bible did not live carelessly and joke around like is so common today. We would all do well to learn from their example.

    Keep looking up my dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep being faithful . . . some with ears will hear.

    Peace.
    William

    ReplyDelete