Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Childishness

Don't you just hate it when someone calls you childish? I certainly do, and from the looks of the people who I have called childish in the past, I believe most other people hate it, too.

Likewise, when I visit other web sites, weblogs or read publications, I get very perturbed when I hear people who profess to follow Christ bashing each other over things in the Bible that they don't agree about.

In thinking about all the parts of scripture that I have read (and I have read almost all of the Old Testament and all of the New Testament), I don't remember that Jesus had "word battles" with anyone. He said what He believed, back it up with why He believed it (scripturally or with facts), and then kept quiet and let the Holy Spirit work.

God is working, through the power of the Holy Spirit, on each one of us who have committed our lives to Christ. It's a lifelong process, this becoming like Jesus, and the things we do and believe today may not be the same things we do and believe in six months, three weeks or even tomorrow.

We are earthen vessels that hold his precious Holy Spirit and we are being molded and formed by God each and every day just as Adam was molded and formed by God at the beginning of time.

And in that molding and forming, we are becoming less childish, and more and more like Christ.

Ephesians 4:13-16:

13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, 14 so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. 15 Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.


So if you and a brother or sister in Christ don't see eye to eye today, don't write them off as lost or not your friend, say what you believe, why you believe it, and be quiet. Then, ask God to show you if you are wrong about what you believe and ask that if you brother or sister is wrong that God will open their eyes to the truth.

Let's leave childish fighting and bashing behind and work for the glory of God in a better way.

2 comments:

  1. I like this a lot.

    The past several months have brought things to me in my faith walk that I wasn't looking for, but He teaches. This verse came to mind this morning as I was making the bed.

    He that answereth a matter before he heareth [it], it [is] folly and shame unto him.

    He has caused me to be willing to hear in areas I thought I NEVER would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is refining me in big ways these days, Ma!

    Be blessed.

    Your Sister in Him,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete