Tuesday, July 26, 2011

If You Love Me, You Will Trust Me

Everywhere you turn you hear people talking about the long, hot summer. Here where I am, it is, indeed, hot; and the summer is feeling especially long because I have been dealing with my son and his illness. We came to North Carolina because of a clinic nearby my friend's home that treats illness holistically. The doctors at the clinic are medical doctors and chiropractors who employ massage therapists, colon hydrotherapists, medical assistants and nurses and use not just allopathic medicine but integrate it with homeopathic and holistic care.

My son is really just a little boy even though he is on the brink of teenager-hood (he's just about 12). You know how it is when you're a kid; you just want what you want. This child loves to eat, and it is very easy for him to tell you what his favorite foods are: steak, pizza and hamburgers. Any chance he has had in lifetime to have any one of the three above items, believe me, he has taken full advantage of it and eaten all he could handle. Unfortunately, what you eat has an impact on ulcerative colitis. So my son provided the lab with material to do a complete study to determine what he is sensitive to and/or allergic to. The lab came up with three items that my son can eat with complete abandon: apples, raspberries and apricots! For the next six months, he is relegated to a diet that is vegetarian, gluten free, sugar free, and dairy free.

Woe is me I have been crying! Seriously, this is no fun. My son is relentless when he wants something. So, at first, I tried to follow the diet but allow him to have a little here and there that he likes so he wouldn't be miserable. Last week he ended up in the hospital because his intestines became so inflamed he vomited and had diarrhea for five days and lost weight so quickly my husband and I panicked and tooking him to the E.R. I learned my lesson.

My son, however, is a different story. We came home from the hospital yesterday and he immediately started asking me for things that he can't have and telling me how he didn't like the things I was offering him (mostly not even tasting them to even find out!). So I told him: "If you love me, you'll trust me. I don't want to feed you bad tasting food. I don't want you to be sick either. This is one of those times when I'm not your friend, I am your mom; and I will not let your feet slip again."

The Lord showed me that this is so consistent with my relationship with Him. I rarely want to do what the Lord wants me to do immediately. It usually takes thinking, pondering, praying, confiding in someone and more prayer. Well, at least, that's the way it is when it's something big I have to change in my life. God is constantly helping us, showing us the way so our feet won't slip either, and we have to choose to trust Him just because we know who He is; that He is good and He loves us with an everlasting love.

It makes it so much easier for us to trust God if we look at it through the eyes of a child with his/her parent and relate it back to our own children and their trust in us to do the right thing for them. God is all about doing the right things for us just as we are for our children. We want our children to live righteous, fruit-filled, happy, long lives; God wants the exact same thing for us.

Psalms 13:5-6

But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me. (ESV)


Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not onto thine own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy path.
Lord,

I want to deal bountifully with my son. When he is grown, I want his heart to rejoice in the things I did for him as a child. Please give me the mind of Christ, the love of Christ, the patience of Christ, the wisdom and understanding of Christ so that I can minister these things to him. Let my child come to know you through me, I pray in Jesus' name. I want Him to bring honor and glory to your name. amen

4 comments:

  1. Kim
    I am continuing to lift your family and in particular your son for complete healing. The Lord is trustworthy and we all sometimes feel like we don't obey right away.

    take care!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor kid. I'm sorry you are dealing with this now. I have a son that is 10 and I can't imagine the struggle I would have with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I enjoy your comments that you leave on some blog I read. Your heart and faith shine though in quality. Sorry to hear this about your son. Sounds though that you're relying and receiving God's Grace to respond - to live in faith and Love.

    [I was hoping to see a personal email link on your page to make a format suggestion. The script right under your Blog title is difficult to read - it needs to stand out more (if you'd like it to be easier to decipher). Maybe making it a lighter pink would be nice - lighter than the background flowers so that it stands out and doesn't blend in. Just a thought! :) ]
    Thanks for your postings!
    How good that you 'hear' God's leading! That is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rock,

    Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement. Changes made per your suggestion. Please visit my little corner of the world again.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete