Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Hitting the Mark

I bought my son an airsoft rifle last week. It came with a container of biodegradable pellets and a target. I went out and shot it with him and discovered how poor a shot I am. I really had very little idea how to even operate the dumb "toy". But, my son gave me a few instructions and some encouragement and I was able to hit the target and a while later was able to hit the target getting close to the middle (where you want to hit).
And so it is with walking the walk of a follower of Jesus. You hear the call and accept Christ's gift of life in the spirit. You begin the walk and literally have no clue how to place your feet in the prints Jesus leaves for us to follow. It isn't until you take the first step of faith that you see how out of sync your steps are with His and that you really know nothing about what you're doing and that you need help.

Hitting the mark, so to speak, does not come easily whether you are shooting bebe's or walking the path to righteousness. It takes commitment, practice, following directions/instruction and encouragement.

Thankfully, God has given us the necessary help to live a life more abundant and free in Him. When we accept His call to righteous living in the Spirit, He sends His Spirit to live within us, and through inspiration of the Holy Spirit, He has given us His written instructions in the Bible.


It is imperative, then, that we who are on walking on this path to righteous living in the spirit continually check ourselves against the Holy Spirit who is within us as to whether we are: abiding in our commitment, by putting enough faith into action (which is practicing our calling by following the leading of His spirit); reading His word; implementing its insruction in our lives; and giving and receiving encouragement to others who are of a like mind.

What about you? Are you hitting the mark set for you by our Lord? If not, ask for forgiveness right now and get back on the path toward holiness and God. We all miss the mark sometimes in our walk and because of that the enemy has plenty of amunition to shoot at us in the hopes that we will turn and walk away from the path towards God and move over to the path that is much easier and filled with less self-sacrifice; where the motto of the people on the path is "You Deserve It, You're Worth It, So Do It"!

I encourage you, in the name of Jesus, our Redeemer, to walk forward today in the power and leading of the Holy Spirit of God within you towards your high calling of being priests and kings of The Most High God.

Father,

Forgive me for stepping off the path that you have ordained for me. Your Word tells me that that I have my own idea of what my path should be but that path leads to death. You alone know the way to life more abundant and free. That is the path I want to be on, Lord; the one that only you can direct me to and along.

I miss the mark somehow, someway everyday. Thank you for your patience and everlasting love. Thank you for your awesome ability to forgive me for all the horrible things that I have done against you. I love you for that. Make me want to be just like you. I pray this prayer on behalf of all my brothers and sisters everywhere who are walking the walk you have called them to, as well. Thank you now for hearing my prayer. I know that you will answer this prayer with my welfare in mind because you do only the things that will benefit those who love you and are called according to your purposes. You want us to be the best that we can be in
you, and I thank you for that, too. I thank you and praise you for who you are today, what you have done in the past and what you will do in the future.

I pray this in the mighty, powerful name of Jesus.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment