Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's Time to Put the Word "Sin" Back in Our Vocabulary

I read with interest Michael Hyatt's blog (found here) entitled The Difference Between a Sin and a Mistake.

This blog is especially timely in light of a news story that has been flooding the internet, tv and radio concerning Congressman Anthony Weiner (D-New York). You all know the story, so I am not going to recount it, or the photos or "twitters" associated with the story here. That is not the real issue of this blog.

However, this morning, on Fox and Friends, I was watching a segment in which Brian Kilmeade was interviewing a marriage therapist, and he asked her (paraphrased) whether the Congressman's twittering to these other women was "cheating". I waited with baited breath to hear her answer and was pleased and astounded to hear her actually say, "yes, I think so". In Matthew, Chapter 5, Jesus spoke to the masses about what actually constituted adultery: 5:27-28:

Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

He's saying that there is more to adultery than a physical act, but that adultery is committed when a married person even thinks sexual thoughts about someone other than their spouse. It is a heart and mind act as well as a physical act. As with most things, God looks at where the heart and mind are in addition to what our bodies are doing.

The purpose of my sharing this is not to denigrate the Congressman...he just happens to be the one of us currently in the news trying to make himself look good by lying and back pedaling his actions so as not to lose his job...but it is to remind my sisters and brothers in Christ and anyone else who might cross this path, that yes, it is sin to send tweets, emails, FB messages, phone calls, text messages, anything that even has an inkling of sexual misconduct with someone who is not your spouse (which means unmarried people, too)!!

I use that word often with my children, my husband and myself so that we won't forget who we are answerable to. It's so easy to say, "I made a mistake" and so hard to say, "I'm sorry; I have sinned against you". Why? Because you'll see, if you read the excellent BLOG of Mr. Hyatt's that we just don't want to acknowledge that God is there watching us and that we CAN and DO do things that are against HIS law. We don't want to recognize a higher power.

Without recognition of the fact that we do, indeed, sin, how can we ever commit ourselves to turning away from sin and allowing God to bring us to a state of holiness? Maybe this is too simplistic; I don't know. It just seems to me that I hear a lot of "I made a mistake", but never any "I sinned..."

Lord, God, You created me to be in relationship with you, and I thank you for that. Why do I want to rebel against you and do what is wrong in your sight? I appreciate that I am not a puppet and that I have a choice to do what you want or what I want to do, but God, please, in the name of Jesus, lead me not into temptation and deliver me from the evil one. I want to be holy as you are holy. I thank you that when you look at me you see me washed clean by the blood of your son, Jesus the Christ. I cannot praise you enough for that because I know the things I have done. Your Word says that you remove my sins from me as far as the east is from the west and you "remember" them no more. God, take them from my mind because I know you know my every thought and I don't want you to remember my deeds. Take them away, Lord, far away and help me to live this day for you. May everything I do and say bring glory to your name. Amen

1 comment:

  1. The FEAR of the Lord is the BEGINNING of wisdom. How many today have never quite grasped WHO GOD IS... His power, His authority, His omnipresence, His eternality, His patience, His purity, His utter and total perfection?

    It is only in light of those superlative qualities of YHWH and His Son, the Christ, Y'Shuah -- not some tame, domesticated religious caricature, too easily confused with other things people call 'god' -- that the real definition of sin (falling short of His perfection) begins to make sense.

    With it, the utter hopelessness of our situation -- our inability to save ourselves -- becomes apparent. And the reverse is true: if we do not grasp our utter depravity, we see Jesus as nothing more than a hood ornament or a club of nice people.

    We sin in our very nature. The question is not "did I sin", but, by the grace of God, was I able to avoid sinning as much today as yesterday -- or even this hour vs. the last?

    Though I will surely need His grace again tomorrow, it is because I love Him that I try not to sin today.

    ReplyDelete