Thursday, June 30, 2011

Are My Hands Clean?

After reading and watching the videos and records of the revival that occurred in the Hebrides Islands (see this post), it appears to me that the first step in true revival is a thorough examination of our own lives. We must humbly come to God and ask Him to show us our sin and then to really, truly, once-for-all-time repent of that sin and ask the Holy Spirit to keep us from ever returning to that particular activity or lack thereof. So I ask today: Are my hands clean?


John 14:26

But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Father God,

I stand in your presence today and proclaim your greatness. You alone are good and wise and all loving and worthy of my praise. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and with all that I am that you chose me and moved me and allowed me to know you. Thank you for sending Jesus to restore me to the righteous place that you created for me. Thank you that I am covered by his precious blood and so, therefore, can approach your throne.

Lord, open my eyes to the things that I need to repent of. I'm lazy and easily distracted, and so I know I don't look at myself closely enough to see if I am hitting the mark that you desire for me. My fire burns high and low, Lord, but I want it to be a steady high flame. Set me on fire for you. Holy Spirit lead me in the way that is right. I only want to love what you love; hate what you hate; want what you want and do what you want me to do. Revive me, Father. Put a light in my eyes and a song in my heart that is constantly reflecting you and singing of your glory and goodness.

Why do my lips stay shut, Lord? Open my mouth and let me sing your praises for you have been so good to me. Your hand has been on me since my childhood, you have favored me with many gifts which make me who I am. You have blessed me with beautiful children, marriage to the one man I told you I loved and wanted, and materially I could not ask for more. Thank you for all of that. You have blessed me with godly friends and a church that has stayed true to you. You opened my eyes to the truth of the world and the things that are happening around me when many are walking in ignorance.

I should be shouting your praise to all I meet. Open my lips, Lord. Let me not be able to be quiet about you and your goodness. Forgive me for being silent.

Psalm 51

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! 3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. 5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. 6 Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart. 7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. 14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise. 18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem; 19 then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    Thank you for this important reminder. Psalm 51 is very precious to me regarding this topic.
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete