Monday, May 23, 2011

This and That...

Much has been said about the prediction of Harold Camping last week that the rapture of God's Church would occur on May 21 and that the end of the world would come six months after that. I really don't have anything to add to the thoughts that have been promulgated throughout Christendom and the general public. However, what has been on my mind as a result of all the publicity Mr. Camping's prediction received is how sad I felt for the name of God. Everywhere I turned, people were mocking Mr. Camping's prediction and right along with it, it seemed to me that they were mocking God by intimating that He wasn't going to return for His church on May 21st, and as a matter of fact, He isn't really coming back after all because that, along with heaven (thank you, Mr. Hawking), is a fairy tale.

God doesn't need my grief on His behalf because He is more than adequately armed and equipped to defend His own name, but I did grieve. I felt sad all day, everytime someone quipped about what to wear to an "apocalyptic dinner", what time they needed to be ready for the apocalypse, where was I going to be waiting for the big moment, etc., I thought, "God, they just don't get it. They don't want to think that yes, you are coming back someday to gather your church and then to judge the nations. It would make them have to think about changing their lives, beliefs and actions." It made them "feel" better about themselves by harping on ad nauseum on Saturday about Mr. Camping's prediction and on Sunday about "well, I'm still here". I wanted to say to each and every person who I knew did not have a personal relationship with Christ, "well, you'd still be here even if He had come", but I managed to keep my mouth shut.

I wrote the other day about how society has lost its respect for God's holiness, and this whole episode reinforced that to me. It's a good thing I'm not God.

Another thing that has been on my mind is, of course, our leadership here in America and how it is day after day destroying the nation I have always thought of as being the beacon of all things great on the earth today. Needless to say, my opinion has changed greatly in the past three years, but our President's decision to not stand on the side of the Israelis with regard to the "land for peace" negotiations made me greatly uneasy in my spirit all weekend.

Now, here we are again at the beginning of a new week with unbelievably violent storms/tornadoes bearing down on the "heart" land of America. Jeremiah 31:33:

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; an I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Jeremiah 23:19

Look! The LORD's anger bursts out like a storm, a whirlwind that swirls down on the heads of the wicked.

Nahum 1:3

The LORD is slow to get angry, but his power is great, and he never lets the guilty go unpunished. He displays his power in the whirlwind and the storm. The billowing clouds are the dust beneath his feet.

Is it possible that, since the word of the Lord does not seem to be written on the heart of this land, God is pouring out his anger on America in the form of never before seen tornadoes, storms, fires (Texas California, Colorado) and are earthquakes in the offing? Many think so.

I venture to say that most people believe in a "god" of some sort. However, one thing I have noticed is that everyone, even people who do not believe in heaven, hell, the rapture, Jesus Christ, and the Bible, is starting to notice the severity of the storms and the tornadoes and the earthquakes and are talking about it. Yes, I know, 2012 and the Mayan prophecy has brought around an uptick in that kind of talk, but I also am hearing (in news reports that I see on TV) a lot of people talking about how they are "praying to God" in the midst of the storms, tornadoes, and earthquakes.

Even if the world and our leaders were not trying to divide God's land, then the way we mock Him, ignore Him and rebel against Him gives Him more than enough reason to just wipe us all off the globe. The Book of Revelation tells us that that is God's purpose in bringing the many disasters that occur during the end days...to bring about mankind's repentance and return to God.

Praise God, that He is long-suffering, full of mercy, grace and kindness, and He loves us so He doesn't just wipe us all out at once. Instead, He waits patiently, calling out to us to come to Him, to get to know Him, and let Him: (1) take away our dissatisfaction with ourselves, (2) remove our blinders and show us who we really are, (3) teach us to love Him, ourselves and others, and (4) give us a peace that is beyond our ability to understand.

If you have not submitted your life to the kingship of Jesus Christ, won't you please take the time to meditate on the Bible, pray...ask God to reveal himself to you and begin seeking to restore the most important relationship you could ever be a part of. I pray that God will bless all who read this with a new revelation of who He is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment