Monday, May 2, 2011

Rain, Rain, Go Away.....Come Again Some Other Day?

Like so many other people in our nation and around the world these days, my mind has been on the rain that has been falling this spring. I live on a country road and there is a beautiful creek that runs alongside most of that road, and my home sits on a hill that looks down over the creek. When we get a lot of rain (and it happens usually at least two or three times a year), my road floods out and we have to take another direction to get out to civilization.
I like to say that I live in a land flowing with milk and honey because we are surrounded by milk producing cattle farms and the creek across the road is named "Honey Creek". Our home is surrounded by an 80 acre farm and across the road where Honey Creek runs, there is a property that encompasses a 100 acres of woods.

It's lush and beautiful, and there are lots of different types of wildlife including deer, groundhogs, raccoons, oppossum, fox, coyote, bullfrogs, owls, and waterfowl and birds galore. I walk my road most everyday when the weather allows, and I always feel very close to God as I traipse along in wonder in His creation.

Mankind has become very self-centered in his outlook on weather. Any time that it rains for more than a day or two, we become very petulant and bad tempered because we feel that we can't get out and do what we want to do, and I used to feel very much the same way. As a real estate agent, the rain was a definite thorn in my side when I had to show homes - in and out of the car in heavy rain is no fun, not to mention driving in it amongst people who never seem to slow down or take road conditions into consideration - and rain always seemed to be a detriment to open houses and such. However, now that my physical condition is such that I spend most of my time at home, my appreciation of rainy days has changed. The rain has a cooling, calming, cleansing effect on the atmosphere, and when the sun comes out, it's like the whole world has been bathed.

In God's Word, rain is oftentimes used to relate to the spirit of God. On Pentecost, it is said that God "rained down" His holy spirit on the apostles. It also seems to me that Egypt and "the World" can be used interchangeably and also the promised land and the kingdom of God.

Deuteronomy chapter 11 tells how God warned the Israelites prior to entering the promised land that if they would obey His law and cling to Him and be His witness to the world, that He would drive out all the other nations in the land, give the land to them, bless them and the land and they would be His people and He would be their God...and life would be good.

Specifically, Deuteronomy 11:14 says:

That I will give you the rain of your land in his due season, the first rain and the latter rain, that thou mayest gather in thy corn, and thy wine, and thine oil.

I have learned that a lot of Bible passages have meanings for the time in which they were written and also a future meaning. If this is true, then is it possible that Deuteronomy 11:14 is talking to those of us who live in the latter days; that God is telling us that if we want to possess the promised land (His kingdom), we need to be listening to his voice, following His direction and command in our lives and if we do, He will once again pour out his rain on us...fill us with the second outpouring of His Holy Spirit?

I recently listened to this sermon by Dr. David Wilkerson in which he sets forth this very idea. It's an excellent one, so I hope you listen to it.

So, today, we have another rainy day and instead of saying, rain, rain, go away, come again another day; I say, "fall on me, rain, pour down over me, I want to be drenched in the rain of the Lord. This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, great post! However, I can't get David Wilkerson's sermon link to work. Please check it.

    Thanx,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize, William. I think it should work now. Still looking for more rain today, tomorrow and Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete