Saturday, April 30, 2011

Walking in the Light - Updated

My son has had behavioral problems since he was a little child, and I have struggled off and on with finding new and effective ways to discipline and punish him. A few months ago, he had a issue at school where he got sent to the principal, and I had told him that the next time he got in trouble at school I would attend school with him the next day and sit next to him in each of his classes. I called the principal to make sure this was okay with the him. I received his permission, and I could tell this was a new method of discipline to him; one that he was quite impressed with, but he asked me to come in for only an hour or an hour and half and then we could make it longer if he got in trouble again.

So, yesterday, off I skipped to school with my son whose face looked like one of the thunder clouds that had so recently been seen passing over our home, and it just so happened that the class I got to sit through with my son was science and the teacher was teaching on light.

I learned that light reflects and light refracts.

Reflection is the change in direction of a wavefront at an interface between two different media so that the wavefront returns into the medium from which it originated, i.e., a mirror.


Reflection, as used above in relation to God, would be that as the light of God shines on us who turn our faces to Him in a direct angle, we become a mirror to the world and we reflect His image to it.

Refraction is the change in direction of a light wave due to a change in its speed. This is most commonly observed when a wave passes from one medium to another at any angle other than 90° or 0°. Refraction of light is the most commonly observed phenomenon, but any type of wave can refract when it interacts with a medium, for example when sound waves pass from one medium into another or when water waves move into water of a different depth.

I've been thinking and praying for God to reveal to me what the proper analogy is with regard to refraction. I believe what He is showing me here is that with reflection, we turn our faces in a direct angle towards Him so that we can soak up all the light that He is pointing in our direction, but in refraction, our faces are not pointed towards him in a direct angle, so the light bends and we don't get the full force and effect of that light.

This seems to be the state of many christians' lives because their eyes are darting around in so many different angeles to so many different light sources instead of settling on the light giver.


1 John 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Dr. Joseph Mercola a naturopathic physician advocates that for a person to get a really good night's sleep, their bedroom needs to be in total darkness. He says that total darkness provides the best conditions for deep sleep, health and healing. Being a person intent on giving my body the most desirable conditions to bring about health; I, of course, followed his advice and took out all nightlights, covered up the TV and bought black-out blinds for the windows. The room is completely dark, and he's right; I do sleep much, much better, but it is also pitch dark when I get up; say to go to the bathroom, in the the middle of the night, and I'm always afraid of running into something or stubbing my toe (you know how much that hurts, right?) It is very hard to get around in the dark!

Similarly, Dr. Mercola promotes Vitamin D3 as one of the proponents of nature which is very beneficial to our health and you need to be outside, in the sun, in order to take advantage of it, soaking it in; so to speak.
The public has been told for years that being in the sun is very dangerous to our health in that it causes skin cancer. Personally, I believe that being in the sun is healthy as long as we have a healthy attitude to it and don't spend prolonged time in it every day.

Likewise, we can look at our spiritual lives in relation to sleeping in the darkness and soaking in the sunlight. If we are not in relationship with God, through His son Jesus Christ, we are literally walking through life in the darkness, and we are subject not just to stubbing a toe or running into something, but we are in danger of falling, being run over, or even drowning in an unseen body of water.

However, if we are sitting in the presence of God daily, soaking up His light, we are filling ourselves with the knowledge of Him who is our life, breath and strength which promotes a healthy spiritual life.

The darkness of sin and death is growing around us, and walking in the light of God's love, direction, admonition and correction is the only way to get through it.

My prayer today, Lord, is that you will inspire me to look upon you, to soak up your life-giving light. I ask that I would not hide your light from those around me butthat I might put it out there on a lampstand for all those who are in darkness to see and be drawn to. Father, the time is growing short and your Word directs those who believe in you, love you and follow you to go and tell others about you and the freedom you have to offer. I pray in Jesus' name that the people who love you and are called according to your purpose will be filled anew today with your holy spirit, the spirit of power and of love. Give us a boldness in speaking the truth in love to others. Give us merciful hearts and a willingness to forgive all who transgress against us. May your will be done today on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

T. Austin-Sparks has a wonderful on-line devotional, and today's was about God and light. I add it here for your consideration.

3 May
.by Daily Open Windows on Tuesday, May 3, 2011 at 5:57am.God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. (1 John 1:5)

Light is transparency; light is clearness; light is absolute purity; light is honesty; light is openness of character. Light hides nothing; its whole action and nature is contrary to hiding anything. It has nothing to hide; it shows everything; it shows all: in other words, it is not deceitful. It does not want to cover anything, or to pretend or make believe that something is other than what it is. Light is single; it is not double; there is no duplicity about light. And light is just - light! There is “no darkness at all” where there is light.... How many shades and aspects of darkness there are! - a whole vocabulary of words. The Spirit has come to bring all that to an end by applying the Cross, in which it was all brought to an end in the Person of the Lord Jesus; to work out the meaning of the Cross in our lives, so that everything that belongs to that kingdom of darkness is removed: so that in the end, with us too, there is no darkness at all. Is that really what we think of, when we think of having, receiving, and being filled with the Holy Spirit? Here again, perhaps, a little re-shaping of our ideas is called for. It is true that He is many other things, as well as light: He is the Spirit of Power, He is the Spirit of Wisdom; yes, He is many other things; but, with them all, He is this. And we must not make more of those “demonstration” aspects of the Spirit, in power, in gifts and capacities, in works, than we do of His character side. If He really does His work in you and in me, He will make us to be people who can bear to be “looked into” without any fear, without any drawing of the blinds. Our lives and our motives will bear looking into.



By T. Austin-Sparks from: The Holy Spirit, the Church, and the Nations - Chapter 5





.

4 comments:

  1. Amen Kim! The Oil of the Holy Spirit is all over this wonderful word.

    I recently posted about dreams and a recurring dream I had over many years when I was literally in darkness.
    Here is a quote from my post:
    "Before God saved me out of the world in 2008, I used to have a dream of being in darkness and trying to find the light. Over a period of about 25 years I probably had that dream at least a dozen times, if not more.

    In my dream the darkness was fearful and I sensed an evil presence coming. I would fumble around trying to find the light switch so I could turn on the light. Sometimes I would find the lamp and turn the switch but the light would not turn on. I was never able to turn the light on and would wake up in a panic with my heart racing.

    The Holy Spirit brought this recurring dream to my attention a few days ago as I was speaking to the Lord about dreams and praying for Him to send dreams to various unbelievers I know. Here is the interpretation of my dream. The darkness in the dream was literally just that, I was in darkness. The fact that I could not turn on the light, which represents Jesus Christ, was telling me I was without Christ since He is the light of the world. (John 8:12)"

    link:
    http://believersjourney.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-god-is-using-dreams-in-last-days.html

    God bless you Kim and thanks for sharing!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah. You know when you know when you know that God is telling you..."write about this", and so I did. I had to rely on Him to write it cause when it comes to the science of light, I am just not that smart!

    Get in some sonlight, this weekend, California Girl!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good post, and I think you got the reflecting part exactly right. I would add to the refracting part that if we are not facing God and His light becomes bent when it passes through us, then we are in danger of leading others astray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim! This post is such a blessing! Wow, amazing timing that you were in that class to learn about light! Plus - I think the punishment of sitting with your son in his classes is EXCELLENT! (and very funny) I wish I would have thought of that when my son was in school!

    Blessings in Christ
    Linda

    ReplyDelete