Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Work in Progress

Isn't it funny how we always expect God to show up in some big, miraculous, showy way? In reality, He sneaks up on us and catches us unawares and makes us smile a secret, knowing smile usually only to ourselves, but sometimes, if we're blessed, we get to experience it with someone else. It happened to me again today. I began my quiet time asking the Lord to come visit with me, make His presence known to me; expecting some major revelation.

As I sat praying to the Lord, I became aware that as I prayed for something, I truly had faith that He would give it to me, and I thanked Him for it. I blogged recently about the motive behind our prayers, and how we have not because we ask for the wrong reasons, i.e., because we usually ask to satisfy our flesh or because we want to own or possess something (sins of the flesh and sins of the eye (coveting)).

The holy spirit showed me right there, right then that I AM growing in Him because I was praying to love what he loves, hate what he hates, cry for things He cries about, rejoice about things he rejoices about and after each item, I would say, "thank you, Lord; I know you will do it" and He opened my eyes to these scriptures and how they are related.

Phillipians 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

James 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume [it] upon your lusts.

James 1:6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.



And the presence of the Lord shown round about me, and I knew that He was in the room talking to me. Letting me know that He is working in me, changing me; maybe not monumentally, but little by little, piece by piece, bad habit by bad habit, idol by idol He is forming me into the person He wants me to be. HE IS THE POTTER; i am the clay has never seemed more real to me than it does right now. If you've ever had this happen to you, you know what I'm talking about. If not, it's awfully hard to explain; but it's like a puzzle being put together. It comes together before your eyes and understanding washes over and you say, "Eureka"! Scriptures that had for some reason puzzled you in some ways become clear and point to other scriptures and you see that they are inter-related. It is SO cool!

Lord, I am fearfully and wonderfully made in your image. Thank you for that. Through the works of those who came before me, Lord, I was born to sin. I'm sorry, Lord, for the things I have done. Against you I have sinned. Please forgive me. Thank you for choosing me to be your daughter. Help me to be a proper daughter...listening to your voice of wisdom, following your directions as one who has seen it all, and knows all, obeying your requests to do the things you need or want me to do; and showing you how much I love and respect you for the way you care about me and everything that affects me. My heartfelt plea today, Father, is that you will continue to mold me after YOUR will; not mine. Forgive me in advance for the days I don't want to surrender to your greater knowledge, experience and wisdom. Thank you for not giving up on me. By your presence here with me today, I have a greater understanding of the fact that I am a work in progress. ...I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day (2 Timothy 1:12). All praise and glory and honor to you, my precious Lord, Jesus! I ask and pray in your name and I thank you for hearing my prayer and answering it! Amen

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit till all shall see
Christ only, always, living in me.

2 comments:

  1. Kim,

    His ways are certainly mysterious to us, but PTL He is good and faithful! I have had many such events happen lately and I agree with you, that it is because the focus of my heart and prayers are centered on His will and not my own.

    I had to chuckle at the "secret smile" because I had that a few times. Last week, in middle of the ocean--2,000 or so miles from home--He reminded me that He can work anytime and anywhere. Not once, but twice on that ship He took little moments to bless not only me, but another because I was there and heeded His voice. It was truly amazing.

    We don't make resolutions each year, but instead try to find a verse to strive to live for each year. This year my verse is from Colossians 3:23 - to do everything as unto the Lord (not myself, or those about me). it's not easy and yes, I fail, but it does become so much sweeter to try each day and He has shown me so much because of the submission to His will, leaving me panting for more, as David did.

    Tam Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tam,
    Welcome, sister, and thank you for your comment. I recently had a discussion with my 11 y/o son about doing all things as unto the Lord. That IS the goal, but, oh, so hard! May God bless your efforts to do so today.

    ReplyDelete