Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Will You Take Time to Seek Him?

The Bible says that God is constantly seeking to reveal Himself to us. Why is it that men and women think they are so wise that they don't need Him or His wisdom? How many times have our ways failed us? His Word tells us that His ways are higher than ours and His thoughts are not our thoughts. If we would only seek Him.

Think how different the world would be if people would have steered the course and brought up their children in the fear and admonition of the Lord - true fear and admonition of the Lord. Fear and admonition that causes them to seek the Lord's face on all decisions that they have to make. I can see it in my mind's eye. The world would be decidedly different.

I remember back when I was working full time, I just plain never thought about spending time with Him. I put in a lot of hours and when I got home, I had a meal to prepare, preparation for tomorrow's day, the "obligation" of whatever my child might need or have going on and some "me" time, time to relax, or take a hot bath or read a book or listen to music, or play golf, or talk on the phone with a friend, but it never entered my mind to pick up my Bible and read...just for fun or put on praise music and praise Him...just for fun.

On the other hand, when trouble arose, guess where you'd find me? You got it. On me knees or face or some such pose asking Him to help me, crying out for healing or mercy or grace or time,...or whatever.

Why should He do that; help those that never give Him the time of day until they don't have anywhere else to turn? If I were God, I'd say..."suck it up, you got yourself here without paying one minute of time or attention to me, so let's see you get yourself out of this".

But thank God His ways are not my ways and His thoughts are not my thoughts. He alone is good. Every good and perfect gift comes down to us from Him.

I was thinking about this the other day with regard to my son. I have raised Him in church, listening to Christian music, in the midst of prayer meetings in my home, reading the Bible with Him and to Him, trying to not provide Him with everything "the world" says he should have and doing my best to give Him all the things "the world" says he doesn't need. In spite of this, my son still doesn't think he needs to consult God on his day-to-day needs, problems, and direction. And, for some reason, it takes him forever to learn from his mistakes.

Deuteronomy 4:29 says, But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul, and Psalm 10:4 tells us why men do not seek him: The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts. "Ain't" it the truth? We're so caught up in our busyness and our own wisdom, that we don't even have the time to give Him a thought.

God, though, in His "Godness", knows who will at some point in time begin to seek Him and through His efforts will work in their lives to bring that day to fruition. Ezekial 34:11 For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I, even I, will both search my sheep, and seek them out.

This is why it is so good to sit and be still; to be totally quiet. We need to teach our children this habit. How can God, who is seeking us, get through all the noise and busyness that goes on in our lives, if we can't hear the still, small voice calling out to us? Oh, He could do it; yes, He could. He could have a car hit us or a fatal illness, or some other such catastrophe, but is that what we want to have to deal with? Isn't it just much easier to sit and be quiet and listen? Once you are fortunate enough to hear His voice, it becomes easier to do and being in His presence becomes more and more desirable. When you feel the touch of the Master's hand, you will be drawn back again and again to that quiet place and quite frankly, you won't want anyone else to intrude on that space. It is a place of refuge; a haven from the unwanted busyness and cacaphony of the world.

What do we gain by seeking him? Hebrews 11:6 tells us that as we seek Him, our faith grows, and our knowledge of who He is increases. 2 Peter 1:3 says that it is through His divine power that He has given us the knowledge of Him and that He is calling us to share in "His glory and excellence by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire." Chew on that a minute. He seeks us, calls us to live "in Him" and share His glory and excellence by becoming partakers of the divine nature by His power; not ours!

Peter goes on to tell us that if we are diligent in adding godly characteristics to our lives, i.e., virtue, knowledge, self-control, steadfastness, godliness, brotherly affection, and love, we will be kept from being ineffective or unfruitful in living a life devoted to God and that if we "practice" these qualities, "we will never fail"!

Would you like to "never fail"? Do you want a fruitful, effective life that brings peace, joy and the knowledge of God to others?

First, find your secret place. Ask Him to come. Be still. Be quiet. Listen. Then, when you hear that still small voice, ask Him for more knowledge of Him, ask Him to purify your heart, practice self-control in doing the things He prompts you to do or not to do, be steadfast, show up every day, keep inviting, asking, listening, set your mind on heavenly things, and practice love for others and God will have your back. He will never let you fail. You might not get it "all right" but God, in His wisdom, knows the outcome and you will never fail.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Kim, I have no excuses, just don't make the time. I will starting now by His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Ma. I lift up all my blogging brothers and sisters each day that God will draw you closer to Him. God bless....

    ReplyDelete