Saturday, February 19, 2011

Ruling and Reigning

True followers of Christ are to rule and reign with Him. The Lord brought this to my mind this morning in my quiet time. Actually I was reading in Isaiah 32:1 where it says: Look, a righteous king is coming! And honest princes will rule under him. (NLT), and my spirit was stirred by the fact that those princes are the people who right now live a life of submission to Christ; the ones who "practice" holiness and godliness by studying their leader, Christ, and allowing Him to lead them through this life by the power of His Holy Spirit.

The Lord asked me if I thought was prepared to be a prince.

Honestly, Lord, no, I don't think I am ready. He spoke to me then, saying, you can't even lead your 11 year old son. You resort to bickering, bribing, manipulation and sometimes even shouting. Learn how to rule over your son and you will learn how to rule in my kingdom. For you must know how to rule in love, for the good of all (fairness), without being able to be bribed (honesty), not wavering (steadfast), with calmness and without anger (sure of my decisions) and trusting that the Lord will honor my efforts and the efforts of my son to comply in order to bring us both into complete relationship with Him.

This brought to my mind these verses in the book of Proverbs:

26: 4, 5 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

In looking up Strong's meanings, the word "like" means "to agree with, be or become like, level, resemble". In other words, when you're talking to a foolish person, don't answer him according to his way of thinking, i.e., bickering, bribing, manipulating or shouting, because you become just like him.

And yet, in verse 5, we are told that we are to answer a fool lest he become wise in his own eyes.

What this says to me is that we are to be wise in the way we respond to a fool, not according to his ways, but according to the ways of the Lord.

I have many times told my son how he resembles the foolish that are described in the book of Proverbs. I have actually made him read chapters in the book of Proverbs because so much of it pertains to him. Truly, if you have ever read the book of proverbs, it is so descriptive of each one of us. It tells us in Proverbs 9:10 that the "fear (awe) of the Lord is the 'beginning' of wisdom"!! In my opinion, there are way, way, way, more people walking around out there who have no fear of the Lord than there are people walking around who have a healthy fear of the Lord, so odds are, there aren't very many wise people walking the earth right now.

There is only one who knows all, sees all, understands all and has wisdom over and above any other living creature...the Lord, Jehovah, Yahweh, I AM.

If we are to rule and reign in righteousness, wisdom and love, then we need to soak up as much of his presence and personality as we can get, and the only way that can happen is to read, read, read His Word, study His Word and allow more and more of Him to live within us...more of Him and less of us.

May it be so unto me, Lord, Jesus. In your name I ask this. Amen

2 comments:

  1. Parenting is hard! I'm getting the same message too...patience, selflessness, steadfastness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ma,

    Parenting IS hard! May God bless you with His wisdom and presence.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete