Sunday, January 9, 2011

Taking God Seriously

In Colossians 3:23, we are told: And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.

I have always been a good employee, a hard worker; one who diligently works to please their employer by working independently, conscientiously, meticulously and striving to be the best I can be. Because of that, I have always been fortunate to be on the high end of the pay scale and never having had difficulty in finding employment. Plus, I have a dastardly personality fault in that I am a "people pleaser". Ugh! I don't know what happened to me in my young life to instill that within me, but it's there, and I work harder for recognition than I do for money. My 21 years as a real estate agent proved this beyond a shadow of doubt in my mind.

I believed on the Lord Jesus Christ as my savior when I was in the 7th grade. I can still remember the force of the holy spirit coming upon me and propelling me up the aisle to the altar at a revival meeting a friend from school had invited me to attend with her family. I knew from that day on that the Lord was to be taken seriously.

The Psalmist in 111:10 says that the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever. My pastor said in his message today that wisdom comes from God; and you acquire knowledge from various sources. The Lord did a very good job of instilling a healthy fear of Him within me.

However, the Lord has layed on my heart over the past month or so that I am not taking His prompting in a couple of areas in my life seriously. I "act" like I'm working on them; I think about them a lot; I have half-heartedly fasted; my prayer life seems lackluster and I'm feeling like I need a new revelation of who God is and what I am supposed to do with Him.

I love the Lord and how He has changed my life. But, just like a spouse that you love, when you live with Him every single day for a long time, somewhere along the line, you stop putting on your make up and getting dressed up before he gets home from work. You get in a rut, and you take him for granted.

I know that is not what God wants from me. As a matter of fact, I feel God calling me to a more perfect walk with Him than I have ever walked before. I feel Him calling me to a more obedient walk; a more specific walk and He wants my best work - the work I would put in to making me someone admired and respected within my field.

These are not the days to be taking His calling lightly. His Word says that he is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. He is patient, gentle, long suffering with us. But what happens if He is calling me to a higher level of walking with Him and I just play around with it and He should decide that today is the day He comes for His bride, the church? Is it possible that I might find myself being one of the foolish women who end up not having enough oil for their lamps? I think so, and that would be profoundly stupid on my part.

So, I am setting out on a new journey seeking the Lord and seeking to know Him more, obey Him more completely and to love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. He gave His all for me and bought me at an extremely high price. Giving Him my best is the least I can do.

Lord, forgive me for not being as serious about obeying you, seeking you and loving you as I should be. This is more serious than a heart attack. Thank you for your holy spirit who gives me such good advice and leading. Thank you that your mercy is new every morning and that I can start again at working out my salvation in fear and trembling. Help me to listen for your voice ALL the time. Give me an unquenchable hunger and thirst for your righteousness. Fill me with the desire and strength to accomplish ALL the things you want me to do. In Jesus' Name I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment