Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world. This is the way to find out if they have the Spirit of God: If a prophet acknowledges that Jesus Christ became a human being, that person has the Spirit of God. If a prophet does not acknowledge Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist. You have heard that he is going to come into the world, and he is already here.
Curry Blake is not teaching anything that I can discern that is not 100% backed up by scripture. He teaches from the scriptures. We have spent two days going through the Bible. Some things are in accordance with what I have previously learned, but some things are not.
He contends that:
* when a person is born again (their spirit re-generated by God), they receive the indwelling of the holy spirit.
* because the holy spirit of God lives within us and because Jesus said it was so, (Mark 16:16) we (as followers of Christ) have been given the power and authority to do the same and greater works that Christ did when he walked upon the earth.
* the church today is operating under an Old Testament mindset.
* the OT mindset is always looking for God to speak to them through another person.
* the OT mindset will always be trying to earn or deserve God's blessings rather than believe that everything we get from God, we get by grace.
* most people are waiting for a phone call from God when He has already sent them a letter. Most people are waiting on God to tell them specifically what to do and when to do it rather than realizing that God has already told us what to do and given us examples of how to do it. Any specifics we may need will be given as we go, and not until we go. If the how-to was that important, God would have specified how to.
* God works according to the principles of good management. He tells you what to do and gives you the parameters within which you must work, but then He leaves the how-to up to you.
* Once we accept the Word of God as our final authority, we must begin to retrain our mind to think in line with God's Will.
I had a friend post on facebook last night that his mother was very ill, in the hospital and that he needed prayer for her and the family. I prayed for her in the manner in which we were taught yesterday; typed it out on facebook as I prayed it myself, and then I told him that if he was with her, believed the prayer to be true, to pray it out loud and lay hands on her. This morning she was doing better. I have not heard so far how she is this evening.
I urge you to go to the John G. Lake Ministries web site and listen to their teachings on line. You can find them HERE.
I am going to be in class tomorrow and a healing service tomorrow night. I plan to continue studying his teachings from the Word of God mostly because he makes the gospel very simple, and he focuses on the freedom from bondage that Christ came to bring.