Many people have a tradition this time of year where each person at the Thanksgiving table are asked to tell something they are really thankful about. Having sat through this many times through the years, it pains me to say that people almost always say the same thing, it's very generalized, and people always seem embarrassed to have speak out loud the things in their lives which they are thankful for. Is that you? Do you voice a bland..."my kids", "my family", "my job", etc.? Don't you think that God above and the people in your life would love to hear the depth of your appreciation for the things which enrich your life?
If so, I challenge you to sit down for 30 minutes or so in a dim, quiet room sometime between now and that day and ask God to truly show you how you have been blessed and try using some adjectives to describe God's faithfulness and generosity to you.
With that in mind, here's my list of what I am truly thankful for.
1) I am truly thankful that God bought me with the precious, priceless blood of His son, Jesus Christ;
2) I am truly thankful that God sought me and asked me to draw near to Him;
3) I am truly thankful for a husband who promised me "I will never do that again" and I know I can believe him;
4) I am truly thankful for a husband who is my very best friend, my defender, my lover and a hard worker;
5) I am truly thankful for my daughter who is thoughtful (by that, I mean "deep"), so loving, respectful, funny and kind (and she's beautiful inside and out) and who makes me feel like I am important in her life;
6) I am truly thankful for my son who is the result of a great love, who challenges me every day to listen to God on how to be a parent, who has a heart for God, is smarter than a whip and so handsome I'm sure that I will need God to get me through his teenage years;
7) I have been blessed beyond belief to have a home I love, plenty of food, clothes to wear, a bed to sleep in, I am warm when it's cold outside and cool when it's hot, my cup runneth over, truly;
8) I have been blessed with a great family of sisters and a brother, loving, kind in-laws, and extended family, but especially two sisters who are always there in the good and bad and to share the memories of our growing up and older;
9) I have three wonderful, caring, kind, loving women who I consider my "best" friends forever and without whom I wouldn't have been able to survive my own blunders, mishaps and life problems;
10) I am so thankful for my extended internet family of friends, sisters and brothers in Christ and acquaintances. People who God has used to help me grow up "in Him".
11) I am thankful for the parkinson's disease that God allowed me to have in order to draw me back to Him, His presence and His love.
12) I am thankful to be alive today when it is possible that someday soon I may hear the call to "Come Up Here" and so it will be that I will be with my friend, Lord, Savior and King, Jesus, forever.