Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Of Gardens and Growers

In the last several years, my heart has been calling me back to having a garden, growing some of my own food and putting it away for the winter. Not only is this work beneficial to my body by causing it to use muscles long unused, it is better for my body to eat this food instead of the frankenfoods and poison-filled junk being served en masse across the country; if not the world.

Jesus said that unless a grain of seed die, it cannot produce much fruit; but when that seed dies, it accomplishes a lot (paraphrased).

I was thinking about this in general terms this morning as I took my morning walk. I was having trouble praying but I sensed the spirit prodding me to press on because I have been having trouble praying. Have you ever noticed how when you pray a lot (like, intermittantly all day long) that periodically you start to think you're in a rut, or that you're praying the same thing day after day, or is it just me? Along with that, though, I have been begging the Spirit to show me how to pray, to fill my mouth with praise and thanksgiving. The Spirit answered my prayer today.

As I was walking this morning, I was thinking about my children and praying for their spiritual lives; asking God to finish the work He has begun in them, and it struck me. I know for many who read this it will be simplistic in nature, but sometimes the simplest things are the most profound. God started the work in my children, and His word says He is faithful to complete it unto the day of salvation. The Lord told me to just go home and show His love to everyone I meet, He will plant the seed, water it and bring it home to harvest. I just have to keep following His lead in showing His love to my husband, my children, my extended family, my friends, acquaintances, co-workers, strangers, and enemies; in other words to everyone I come in contact with. I don't have to save the world; I don't even have to worry about the world; Jesus has overcome the world, and as long I am keeping my eyes on Him, loving Him and allowing Him to love others through me, the seed will grow, and He will render the harvest.

How can you not love that? All I have to do is worry about me and my relationship with the Lord, and He will use it to plant the seed in others. I love that. May Jesus Christ be praised.

When morning gilds the skies my heart awaking cries:
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Alike at work and prayer, to Jesus I repair:
May Jesus Christ be praised!

When you begin the day, O never fail to say,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
And at your work rejoice, to sing with heart and voice,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

Does sadness fill my mind? A solace here I find,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Or fades my earthly bliss? My comfort still is this,
May Jesus Christ be praised!


When sleep her balm denies, my silent spirit sighs,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
When evil thoughts molest, with this I shield my breast,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

In Heav’n’s eternal bliss the loveliest strain is this,
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Let earth, and sea and sky from depth to height reply,
May Jesus Christ be praised!

Be this, while life is mine, my canticle divine:
May Jesus Christ be praised!
Sing this eternal song through all the ages long:
May Jesus Christ be praised!

No comments:

Post a Comment