Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Courage Under Fire

One of my favorite movies is Courage Under Fire with Meg Ryan and Denzel Washington. It's not that the leader in this movie shows a complete lack of concern for herself, but that she shows complete concern for doing what is right for those who depend on her, no matter what the cost.

I have a friend right now who is living a life of courage under fire each and every day. She has breast cancer. She was diagnosed last September and began a treatment program which was all natural. She lives a very healthy, natural life style, so it goes without saying that chemotherapy and radiation would hold no appeal to her.

For nine months, she followed the regime of a naturopath who had had success before in helping the body to cure itself of cancer, but last month, her oncologist informed her that her tumor was growing and that she absolutely needed to have the tumor removed along with 80% of her breast to "hopefully" ensure the removal of the cancer.

I know the first few days were hard on her, but this friend of mine, this remarkable friend, met this foe head on with her held high with trust in her maker and His wonderful creation, her body, to be able to defeat this enemy.

It's funny, as people have approached her and asked her how she is, she quite frankly has said that she's fine with such transparency, that it's impossible not to believe her. And, when someone would ask about her husband and her son, her response was that they were fine as long as she was fine. Was this strength of hers a put on? No, I don't think so. Was she being strong for them? Maybe, partly. It was a heavy load to carry, but she did it, and she did it very well.

When the doctors brought out word that all had gone well with the procedure, my heart felt much lighter and happier, but I could not stop the tears that came because I feel so blessed to have been a witness to such courage and strength.

I only pray that God will give me strength and courage like my friend had to face whatever lies ahead in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment