This morning as I meditated on God's word, I asked myself what the desires of my heart are. God's Word assures us that if we delight ourselves in Him, He will grant us the desires of our hearts. Psalm 37:4
I truly want God to do a life-changing work in me that will cause ALL people to know that I am His; that I would always speak the truth, in love; and that like Jesus, all people would either love me or hate me because then I would know that I was accomplishing His purpose for my life.
God, in His, wisdom, has given satan the power to be the god of this world, and satan, in turn, has blinded the minds of those who have not accepted the good news of Christ. He does this because he doesn't want there to be any chance that the light of the gospel will be shined into the dark places of those who don't believe. Satan uses deceit, just like he did in the garden with Eve, to convice people that sin (things that God's word explicitly says are wrong) is okay. He manipulates man's ability to look at things through the eyes of God. He takes aways the desire to know the truth, because the truth will set people free, and he wants people in bondage,...to him. How do you know if you are sinning? How do you know if you are doing the things God wants you to do? Read His Word. All of it, not just the parts that tickle the ears, agree with "your" theology, and therefore, must be true. The Word of God is a two-edged sword and it cuts deeply, separating muscle from bone. It is a light to our feet and a lamp unto this path, called life.
2 Cor. 4:3 says: But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost. If you have no desire to read the Bible, or if, when you do read it, it is as clear as mud to you, beware, you just might be perishing.
The holy spirit is often designated by the "effect" he produces in our lives; i.e, Spirit of Grace, wisdom, glory, faith, etc. When you sit down to read the Word of God, then ask God to fill you with the holy spirit and to reveal the truth to you, ask Him to make the words come to life and be understable to you. You will be amazed what you come away with.
The Good News of Christ is the Gospel of P's.
1. Perplexity - we don't understand it all, but He does not leave us in despair. 2 Cor 4:8
2. Perseverance - we must keep on keeping on. When, by faith, we accept His gospel, we keep adding to it by increasing our knowledge, doing good works, and not allowing satan to distract us or deceive us. 1 Tim. 6:11
3. Persecution - Jesus said that the world hates those who follow Him because it first hated him. John 15:18
4. Peace - He gives us his peace in spite of the trials and sorrows which afflict us in this life. John 16:33
5. Power - Jesus told his disciples that when they received his holy spirit, they would be empowered from on high and would be able to do even greater works than he had done. Mark 16:16,17,18 and Acts:1:8
6. Promise - He has gone ahead to prepare a place for his followers and someday, we will live there with Him eternally. John 14:2
As followers of Christ, we are called to let the glory of the Good News of Christ (which God shined in our hearts) to shine out into the darkness of the world.
The fact that the gospel has been shined in the hearts of those who believe is a treasure given to us by God. It is a gift, and all we have to wrap it in is this vessel we have called a body, or this earthen vessel, as the Bible calls it. It is weak, breakable, tearable but through the power of God we are able to let this light shine and be given to others who might also believe.
2 Cor. 4: 13 We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore, have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore, speak.
My prayer as I send these words out is, should you stumble upon them and your mind has been blinded by satan, that God would removed the scales from your eyes and the plugs in your ears and shine the light of His holy spirit into your heart, mind and soul that you, too, could accept Christ's gift of his death on the cross in payment for your sins and then go forth and proclaim that Good News to others.
So be it.