Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Life of Victory

1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.

Do you have a faith that has overcome the world? I've been thinking about the victorious nature of my faith for the past few weeks. The Spirit has shown me that when a person is re-born through faith in the atoning work of Christ (while we may struggle with sin and temptation), our faith in Christ should help us to overcome the things we struggle with. I have been struggling with some things for so long that it seems to me that it's time that I began having some victory.

For example, I am about 30 pounds over my desired weight. God has been showing me that my love of food, especially sweets and bread items are a stumbling block to me and something of an idol. No sooner have I finished eating sometimes and I'm thinking about the next time and what I will have or what I will allow myself to have.

Romans 14:23 If you do anything you believe is not right, you are sinning. I can't tell you how many times I eat, drink, buy, look at and think about things that I know I should not. According to this verse, if you know you're doing something you should not do, you are sinning! The Lord has finally convicted me to the point that it is my desire to do something about it.

Psalm 37:4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. The desire of my life is to lead a life of victory in Christ. His word tells us that we are more than conquerors through Him, and that we can do all things through Him who strengthens us.

Are you feeling powerless? Would you like to join me in this quest? I will be tweeting and posting on facebook about my quest to change the way I am following God.

In closing I'll post this song by Fannie Crosby:

Victory in Jesus, my Savior, forever
He sought me and bought me,
With His redeeming blood;

He loved me ere I knew Him
and all my love is due Him
He plunged me to victory beneath
His cleansing blood.

Praise God. Let's do this together.

4 comments:

  1. My experience is that God rids us of our enslavements once we finally come to him in a spirit of genuine trust with no fingers crossed behind our back or reservations about how hard it will be or how much will miss whatever it is. I struggled with something for a long time and it was only when I finally said PLEASE I WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING to be rid of this that -- poof -- the next day I was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I want more than anything to be rid of all that keeps me from being in total obedience to Him, Art. We (He and Me) are going to get it this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been singing that song (Victory in Jesus) frequently in the past year! It's a blessing to have the Lord show me that He's heard me by your posting it here. I'm praying for YOU! I read about your affliction in Ultraguys blog. I am a breast cancer survivor (diagnosed in 2000), the Lord carried me through the whole process and gave me a vivid sign that He was the one who healed me! BLESS YOU!
    BIG HUGS, clydelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clydelle,

    Thanks for visiting and posting. I always loved the words to that old hymn and it has now become very clear to me what the writer was saying. Thanks for your prayers. Until we meet in glory, God bless and keep you.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete