Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Are You Happy with Yourself?

This is a question that popped up today in my Bible study. Human beings, as a rule, base their happiness on how they feel and what their circumstances are. So on any given day, you could be as happy as a lark (whatever that means), or you could be as unhappy as...what, well, as unhappy as a person can be, just because of ... whatever!

I personally want real happiness, not happiness that depends on my circumstances. True happiness, lasting happiness, also known as blessedness, which stays with you through thick and thin, good days and bad days, no matter what you're going through.

The word used for blessedness or happiness in the Bible is makarios which means a sense of God's approval. It comes from within you when you see that sin is the source of all misery and unhappiness, and holiness is the root cure for it all.

The happiness I want comes from being in a right relationship with God. Romans 14:22 says: The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

This verse spoke to me because I realized how many times I've done something that deep within myself, I knew it just wasn't right for me. You know that feeling, I'm sure you've experienced it too, when that still, small voice inside you says, "hey, don't eat that or drink that, you've had enough". Right? But you go ahead and eat it or drink it anyway. Romans 14:20, says (NLT): Don't tear apart the work of God over what you eat remember, ALL FOODS ARE ACCEPTABLE, but it is WRONG to eat something IF IT MAKES ANOTHER PERSON STUMBLE. (21) It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything else if it might cause another believer to stumble. You may believe that there's nothing wrong with what you are doing, but keep it between yourself and God. Blessed (makarios = happy) are those who don't feel GUILTY for doing something they have decided is right. BUT if you have DOUBTS about whether or not you should eat something, YOU ARE SINNING if you go ahead and do it. For you are not following your convictions. If you do anything you believe is not right, YOU ARE SINNING. (I would think that drink could replace the word "eat" here, wouldn't you? And maybe even anything else that that still, small voice tells you not to do.)

That is why people are not happy with themselves. They have sinned, somewhere, doing something, maybe repeatedly, maybe once, who knows, and they know it. When you add that to the fact that God's DNA is written on every cell in our bodies, we should know in our spirits when we are doing something we do not believe in and which is, therefore, a sin for us. How do I know that God's DNA is written on every cell in my body? Follow me....

One of the blogs I follow is New Wineskins. The author (Art a/k/a Ultraguy) posted this:

In my ~8-year walk with the Lord, including deep, diverse and increasingly voracious reading and listening, I’ve found satisfactory answers to most of those questions individually, but never one holistic enough to take in the scope that seems to positively leap off the page from one the most awesome passages in all of scripture, John 1:1-5 –

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Oh man, I just love that one. Love it!! If I could sneak into a hospice ward and whisper anything into the ears of dying unbelievers, that would be it.

In lesson number 22* of “DNA From the Beginning, an animated primer on the basics of DNA, genes and heredity,” (i.e., the building blocks of all life) we read that:

The genetic code had to be a “language” — using the DNA alphabet of A, T, C, and G — that produced enough DNA “words” to specify each of the 20 known amino acids. Simple math showed that only 16 words are possible from a two-letter combination, but a three-letter code produces 64 words.

Talking about DNA in this way — as words, as an alphabet and as a language — is something very much in the mainstream of science, as sites like this attest. In the context of history however, DNA is a very recent discovery. Read the rest of the blog HERE.

That blog post led me to this video JESUS CHRIST, DNA AND THE HOLY BIBLE which talks about the FIBONACCI SEQUENCE which is God's fingerprint on creation. Really, watch the video, he's superb at explaining it, and I, on the other hand, can barely comprehend it. But what this says to me is that God's DNA is imprinted on every cell of my body (and everything else in creation) which also tells me that I have the mind and conscience of Christ living within me every single moment of every single day!

Praise God! Now that makes me very makarios! Lord, may I hear and obey your voice today. May you be blessed also today.

2 comments:

  1. Kim
    I read your comment on Joseph Herrins blog about the parkinsons. Please contact Unleavenedbreadministries.com for possible help with casting out spirits of infirmity and parkinsons. They have many people with gift ministries of discerning of spirits and many sicknesses are caused by demons. I was helped in this category by this ministry

    also you can email me at wendyworn@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! I'm so excited, we're on the same page!

    thanks so much for posting.. just the other day I was quickened to DNA but wasn't sure where the lord wanted me to go with it... thanks for being the next puzzle piece!

    ~Blessings
    Brittni

    ReplyDelete